Monday, September 20, 2010

Mummy Dearest...

What an eventful and emotional week. My poor Mum...where do I begin? With her never ending energy supply that enables this amazing 71yr old lady to be so totally self sufficient by all D.I.Y. aspects etc...well unfortunately Mum had a bad fall whilst out mowing her lawn...which she should never be doing and will get into big trouble for when I get to her tomorrow. Anyway, she fell on her wrist and badly broke it. She knew at the time that she had done some serious damage, so what did this energetic lady do?...she kept mowing and tidying the garden! Seriously!!! After going inside and having a clean up, she took a couple of panadol for the pain and decided that she'd better ring Dale to take her to the hospital. Luckily Dale had started his first day of his holiday so was able to get to her within 20minutes. Once at the hospital she was seen to straight away and x-rayed where the severity of the break was revealed and then it was the waiting game as to when the operation would take place...This was Friday afternoon...Saturday came and went...Sunday came and went, with tension and emotions high in every corner...Monday morning was promised, but nothing happened until I got a phonecall from Shane Monday lunch time, she had finally gone in for an operation after nearly 3 days of laying in a hospital bed, 'nil by mouth' everyday in case a vacancy came up in the operating theatre and on nothing but panadol forte! My poor Mum...you hear of terrible hospital ordeals all the time in the public system but when it happens to someone you know and love you realise just how stretched the staff and Dr.s are and how we are all in terrible strife if there's not enough Dr.s on if in an emergency. It's really sad and I believe the Dr.s and nurses deserve to be the highest paid people on the planet as it's our lives that they deal with day in and day out! Mum apparently had a great team of nurses looking after her but what a long wait to have for an operation! Anyway all went well and the last I heard she was sleeping the operation off. She is spending another night in there and will be out tomorrow as long as all is well, just in time to welcome Bailey and I on our arrival. It's perfect timing of our visit as I can totally look after her in every way and make sure that this bionic woman is able to rest and allow people around her to lend a helping hand.
I always like to find a positive out of any situation, so my positive note is that Mum may now realise that although her 25yr old mind is as active and capable of anything, her 71yr old, very healthy body for that matter needs to slow down and ask for help. It may unfortunately have been what she needed, so to speak, to stop doing so much for everybody else and let all of us now do things for her. She is so independent and stubborn that it will be hard for her to accept but at least this coming week she will have no choice as I will take charge and she has me and my two brothers to contend with as they both have the week off! I know it will make my brothers and I feel a lot better if we know that she can actually accept a lending hand now and then...
Take care Mummy. You are miraculous with your fantastic health and vitality, like no other woman your age, but be sensible and know your limits...easier said than done though I suppose!!! I have to admit that I totally admire everything about my Mum as she really is the stongest woman I have ever come across and I hope that someone is telling me to slow down when I get to that age!
On a happy note, Yazmin is still having the time of her life in Italy. She has now arrived at her host families house and has text me to say they are LOVELY! We couldn't be happier and relieved. One week down and three to go until our poppet comes home, back to reality and work, school etc...may this perfect experience remain a happy memory for you forever and make every second count our precious angel. We love you and miss you but are ever so proud of the wonderful and beautiful young woman you have become. It will be a very happy occasion to see your stunning face again and let your smile light up our house once more. In the meantime though, let Italy have a taste of your presence and make a mark on the beautiful place that it is.
So tomorrow Bailey and I fly down to NSW, different flights, to spend the week with Mum and my brothers. I never like leaving Ian and Ramses but I know that Mum really needs us now so I can go without feeling too bad. I will update this when we return, until then stay safe everyone and really look after those that you love as everyone is so precious so be thankful that you have wonderful people in your life....sorry I think this experience with Mum has made me even more of a sopp! Love to you all xxx

No comments: