Sunday, November 16, 2008

To friends reunited and precious memories!

Monday morning Yaz was all packed and ready for her school camping trip to the Sunshine Coast. I dropped her off and probably embarrased her immensely as I hugged her goodbye in front of her entire year but there was no way she was escaping without one and she knew that too! Whilst doing that in the morning, Bailey who was with me also waiting to go to school came down feeling very unwell again after his bout of tonsilitis that he was getting over, so I had to take him home where he spent the day with me and at my work as I had clients that were too late to cancel. He just needed that extra day off I think as he had been ill since the beginning of the previous week. All is fine with him now, he has finished his antibiotics and is back to his normal, jolly, non-stop chattery self!
The week at home was terribly quiet. No phones went and there were no arguments over whose trun it was on the computer etc...so in some ways blissfull but we all missed Yaz heaps. I got out some old photo albums that were still packed up from our interstate move and was looking back on when Yaz was little and when Bailey came along and how close and cuddly they used to be and I found myself getting rather teary, in a happy, reminiscing way. Photos are just irreplacable aren't they?! We have all had a good look at them now and a giggle here and there. Some of you may have seen a few I have put on facebook...oh there are SO many more. It is too time consuming scanning them, downloading them and fighting with internet coverage to do too many anyway. Just a glimpse back to the past is good enough for facebook. After putting up some old school photos, I have now found out from another old friend that one of our best school friends has recently died, quite tragically too, leaving behind four young children. I couldn't believe it! I guess because of the move up here and losing touch with old friends, I wasn't associated with anyone that would have known about it. I phoned my Mum straight away and she hadn't heard either so it has come as a great sad shock to all of us.
I had a weekend away with two friends that I used to work with at the record store 15 years ago. Michelle, who became one of my closest friends and still is, (although distance divides us!), came down from Townsville, and Kylie came up from Sydney, both arriving at the same time at the airport on Friday. It was sooo good to see them. We stayed in an apartment in Brisbane down a trendy pub/restaurant street and had an absolute ball...accompanied by a few drinks too! The first night we strolled around, ate in a funky restaurant and then pub crawled it back to our apartment with many laughs along the way. Saturday we headed via the River Cat ferry into Brisbane where we had a big brekky and checked out Southbank markets and then went into the CBD. We ferried it back to the apartment, got a spot of lunch with a drink to wash it down of course, did face masks, giggled constantly, then headed out again for a pub dinner and more pub crawling, tasting a few cocktails along the way. I haven't laughed soooo much for such a long time. I had to keep reminding myself that I was 36 years old because I felt like I did when we used to do all of that stuff together 15 years ago. It wasn't until the end of each night as we were leaving the pubs that all of the gorgeous, young crowd were coming out for the night...that's where I felt my age...This morning I dropped them off at the airport and there is talk about it all happening again this time next year. I was very pleased to get home though as I really missed my family and thought about them all weekend, texting Ian after a few also!...This was the first real girls weekend that I have had. The only other one was when I was about 16 when a few of us went away camping but that's it so it was nice to do and long over due!

The only downfall about the whole weekend was that I wasn't there to pick Yaz up on Friday afternoon when she returned from her trip away so I didn't get to see her until today so I felt very guilty about that and obviously missed my little mate too. I spoke to her though as soon as she got back to ask her all about it. She had a good time although the food was terrible apparently. They got to do loads of different activities that were mainly beach involved so I think they would have had a great time.
Today we headed down to the lagoon for a cool down as it was so hot and steamy here. A storm has now since come through, hence the weather earlier and has cooled things down a bit thank goodness. Our second Summer season is upon us so it will be interesting to see of we've aclimatized or not...if today was anything to go by then I can honestly say that I haven't and will find the heat very draining. Fingers crossed though! I just feel so sorry for poor Ramses who tries to find somewhere cool to sleep during the day and because the nights are lovely, this is when he wants to go out but we don't let him out at night due to the wildlife factor so he can't win during Summer!
Anyway that was this week....saying goodbay to Yaz, (for a few days), my family, (for my weekend awway), and to a dear school friend. The photos of us I will cherish forever. xxx

No comments: