Sunday, June 21, 2009

SWINE FLU HITS!

As the title reads, Swine Flu has hit our community. The outbreak over here is spreading like crazy. There is no way it can really be contained and now we are in the midst of all of the hype. The first we knew about it was Friday afternoon. I was at work, just finishing with my last client of the day when I got a message telling me that the kids school was being evacuated as there was 1 reported case of a student, positive to the flu. The school is now closed for this coming week, which leads straight into the school holidays the following week, so all in all, the children now have 3 weeks off school! They're not worried in the slightest, although Yaz is a bit eager to get some exam results back and their school reports were supposed to come home, but apart from that, they're pretty much cheering! In saying all of that though, Bailey wasn't allowed to play Rugby today as the children are now supposed to be in quarantine for the next week. Yaz, however, was allowed to play in her soccer match yesterday, as long as none of the school students showed any signs of the flu. I am not sure what will happen with work this week as I guess Ian and I are considered to be at risk now too, but we are all fine with no symptoms at all but I guess if I make my clients aware that my children MAY have been exposed, then it is up to them to make their own decisions about being at risk. I personally don't see what all the hype is about. I know it is a bad flu but there is only 1 reported case of death over here at the moment and that was because the poor man had other immune deficient problems at the time. Really any flu is risky and this is just another type we now have to try and fight. I will have to phone Bailey's swimming tomorrow to see if he is allowed to go there. There are so many schools closed at the moment due to this and if that many people are at risk, then it's useless trying to contain it because there are too many communities already exposed. Half of the time people that have it don't know they've got it anyway! I know of so many people that have been ill lately with sore throats, bad colds, chills etc...but just stay at home and rest it out. Even the local hospitals are saying it's ridiculous with all of the panic and are telling people not to bother going into them, which is what we've been advised to do by the Government. In saying all of this though, I do pray that there are no more fatalaties and I do hope my personal point of view isn't too blaze about it all, as if it so happened that I got it, I would probably end up in hospital due to having a very low immune system, which of course I don't want to happen. We'll see what the next couple of weeks brings but there's no point in panicking anyway. Mum is coming up next week by train and she said she will be wearing a mask all the way up. I told her that she is coming straight into Swine Flu territory so maybe she will be masking it the whole time she's here?
As you can guess I am sooooo very excited about having Mum come up. She arrives next Monday morning around 6.30am in Brisbane, so it will be a very early start for us. Can't wait!!!!
So apart from the Swine flu news, I just want to congratulate my cousin Matt in England who won the U.K Royal Mail Award last Friday! We are so very proud of you as it is a huge achievement. Well done.
Also I would like to wish Dad Laslett a very Happy Fathers Day for today in England! I hope you had a relaxing day surrounded by your wonderful family getting spoilt!
I would also like to congratulate my beautiful friend Nicky for graduating from college and is now a Massage Therapist! Well done to you and I know you will LOVE this industry! You'll be a guaranteed success!
Ramses went to the vet during the week just for a check-up. Alls good with him and his stitches come out this coming Tuesday. So just 1 more day of struggling with him to get him into his carry cage...I always come off second best!
Ian was at the Dr.s this week too! Now you know Ian's not well when he actually asks to get an appointment with a Dr.! He has been suffering on and off for a few months with terrible ear aches. He got some prescribed drops for it a while back and has been using them occasionally when it flares up but it got to the point where he was in quite a bit of discomfort and pain, so anyway, it's still basically the same infection that keeps on coming back and he has to use the drops constantly, even when he doesn't feel any discomfort for a while until it is completely cleared up! Glad it was nothing else anyway. He seems to be on top of it at the moment.
Apart from that, the only other thing we have done this week is we went to Nicky and Seans for lunch today which was lovely. We ended up playing trivial pursuit, boys against girls...boys won! Didn't they make us know it too! It was fun though. We ended up playing a bit of cards afterwards too until it was time to come home.
So I'm not really sure what this week brings apart from Ramses getting his stitches out. On the weekend though there is a Mind, Body and Spirit festival in Brisbane which Nicky and I are going to. I am really looking forward to that actually. I'm in my element surrounded by all of that type of stuff!
Hope you all have a happy and healthy week anyway xxxx

No comments: