Sunday, August 17, 2008

Not for the faint hearted!

For those of you who read last weeks entry, you would know about my rather interesting college excursion that I was anxiously awaiting, which came around on Saturday 16th. I shall leave this story until the end of todays entry as it is probably going to be more in-depth than what some of you may want to know, so I'll fill you in on everything else that's happened...

Monday was a day off...for some...not me or Ian though, but the children had the day off due to 'The Ekka'!. The Ekka for those of you who aren't sure what this very 'Aussie' sounding thing is, is basically a week and a half for those around Queensland to attend an over-priced, over-hyped fair. Full of rides, with some reaching $40, show bags, gross fast food that should not be served in conjunction with peolpe going on stomach-churning rides, and side shows, displays etc and then the nightly fireworks. I have just realised what a hum-bug I sound like about all of this, because let's face it, take me to Dreamworld or places similar and I am one of the biggest kids there! I just can't see the point in paying an admission price, having to pay for every ride, plus all of your food and show bags etc... Yaz went down with a friend of hers on this Monday with $60, and it lasted her about an hour. She went on a couple of rides and picked up a show bag for her and Bailey and that was it! She messaged me about 1pm asking if I was at home because she was on her way...I expected her to be home in the late afternoon, and she said it was quite boring with alot of 'freaky' people there...I do apologise to anyone that was there on Monday, obviously she wasn't including you in the 'freaky' category! Wednesday was also a day off for the students, still to do with the 'Ekka'...I am yet to work out why? It's great for the children...defintely no complaints in that area! Ian also had this day off and I worked just up until midday and then again in the evening.

Friday was Mrs Tracy Kings birthday!!! Happy birthday to you luvvy!!! Hoping your day was a fab one!

During the week we had news from our dear friends about Dave being back in hospital, so again our love and thoughts are with you and just know that we're thinking of you 24/7.
We also booked flights for our two children to fly back home in September to spend a week at Mum's, who was very excited when I confirmed the details with her. No doubt they will be very spoilt during that week. Bailey is very excited as they are flying without us so this is a huge adventure for him, where as Yas is very blase about the whole ordeal...happy to be heading back though.

Yesterday was Yaz's last football match for the season, unfortunately they lost and this season wasn't as triumphant as their undefeated season last year, but she is fulfilled that she was a part of being in her element doing what she loves most for the past few months.

Today we had a 'day tournament' for Yaz with her and her touch football team. It was a general knock-out type tournament, but it was all the way in Toowhoop-whoop,(also known as Toowoomba, 2 & 1/2 hours south west. We had to be there at 9.00am, so Yaz, Bailey and I were up at 5.30am...something that I don't do! It was freezing too, but we got there in time. It was a lovely drive actually and alot of it reminded me of home, very pretty country side...apart from the enormous amount of road kill!... As soon as we got out of the car, the wind just blew straight through us and chilled us to the core! I had on jeans, a t-shirt, wool jumper and a fur-lined jacket,(not real fur of course!), and I just froze all day. I had to go to the car a few times just to sit inside with the heater on to thaw out. In between games, Bailey and I ventured into the local shopping area and all the shops were closed! So we just made the most of the day, trying to keep the circulation going by kicking Bailey's rugby ball around etc...and getting hot milos from the canteen. As it was, Yaz's team didn't win one game, so didn't make it through to the finals, so we got out of there earlier than expected and left around 2.30pm. Ian didn't come with us as he had his own football game to play, which they won 3-1, with him scoring 1 goal!

So that is all of the weeks news...oh, apart from little Gracie breaking her wrist! Wishing you a speedy recovery in your pink cast!

Are you ready for the gory details then? My trip to the 'Wetlab'...a morgue! It was actually in a Uni in the medical department, for those studying in that area obviously! I must admit I didn't know what to expect or how I would handle seeing dead bodies and dissections etc...but it was the most amazing experience. To begin with we went into a museum type exhibition where there were plastinicised body parts, award-winning dissections kept preserved in glass tanks, preserved embryos from all stages...that was amazing! The details from such an early stage were incredible! There were also numerous skeletons and bones, with a childs skeleton there which took me back for a while looking at it. Then after handling these 'pieces' and studying all different causes of death in relation to these 'pieces', we headed downstairs to the 'wetlab'. First we had to put on aprons, safety glasses and gloves and then the exhibits came out of their jars and bags...there were a few hearts, kidneys, lungs, livers, limbs, torsos, spines etc...all embalmed and in great condition. We got to handle all of these and looked at cancers, pace-makers, felt gall-stones inside the gall baldder, looked at the different layers of muscles...which I couldn't help but check to see if there were any adhesions...I wasn't the only one using massage techniques either by the way! Just to be able to see the muscles, the very thing that I work with everyday, just put everything into perspective and I suppose gave me the greatest insight to the human body possible! We got to look at the insides, pull things out etc...and it was just the most remarkable and educational experience I could ever imagine! The room next to us was full of bodies that had been embalmed and were ready for dissection from medical students, all laying in their body bags on the stainless steel tables, some hands or feet hanging out. I actually wasn't creeped out in the slightest which I don't know if that's disturbing or not? Then, we had a body brought to us, of an elderly lady, who had been partially dissected, but basically we could lift up her rib cage and check out underneath all of the organs etc... and then got to look at the rest of her. They kept her face and privates covered which was a good thing, but everything else was there for us to examine and touch etc...The whole time we were studying this lady, I couldn't help but wonder who she was and how her family feels about her donating her body to science. She was someones daughter and possibly Mother, Sister, Grandmother etc...and I felt sad in regards to that side of things. We then covered her up and were then shown the 'freezer'! This was stuff from horror movies...there must have been about 100 bodies in there, in there own bags, some heads in bags, limbs in bags etc...and it made me realise just how many people are so selfless by donating their bodies! Really, this is the ultimate sacrifice! We were told that sometimes they have to even turn bodies away because they have too many! WOW!!! We then moved on to the embalming room, where there were four bodies waiting to be embalmed, still with the catheters in their hands from hospital and their name tags on...I tried not to look at these as it just puts it onto another level, one that I don't think I could deal with. The whole time, the bodies and body parts are referred to as specimens, and if you know their names, it just turns it personal. I walked out of there, glad to be in the fresh air as it was quite pongy and I felt slightly chlostrophobic, but in awe of the selfless people out there because without them, we wouldn't have our medical professionals and our education would be so limited. The Uni has a thanksgiving day each year for those who donated and their families, and where possible, they send on the cremated hearts to the family. It is all done with the utmost respect and honour. Truly amazing and something that I will obviously never forget and will hopefully only benefit from in my new-found knowlege and understanding of the human body. Hopefully if you have read all of this you don't think I have lost it and can understand the importance of this excursion. If you've read on and are totally grossed out, don't say I didn't warn you. I didn't write down the details to make you squirmy, I just wanted to share this amazing experience with those who were interested and who have wondered about what it would be like or have experienced it themselves and have an understanding with me on this.

So that was this week, news from all areas, nothing boring in the slightest! Back to normal, everday entries for a while I would presume, so hopefully I haven't lost any of you because of this weeks detail. Love to you all xxx

No comments: